Phases Of The Moon and Phases Of Fertility

CURRENT MOON

Sunday, January 07, 2007

New Job.

I've been busy, which explains my slackness in the blogosphere lately.

I started my new job on Tuesday and since then have worked 41 hours. I'm cleaning rooms at a resort; which is much harder than I thought it would be. It's fun though, in a "learning new skills, eye to detail being honed, great people to work with" way.

Ten of the hours worked were in my usual job as an agency nurse. This was a nice juxtaposition to the cleaning but allowed me to get some practice in at a slower pace of some of the skills I had picked up over the past week.

What I've learnt so far:

It's more tiring work than any I have ever done before.

It is a high pressure environment but in a different way to Aged Care.

The industry has a lot of waste; 1/4 roles of T.P. are thrown out; not even put into a collective for use in the staff rooms like other places I have heard of do. The amount of soap that is wasted too. We throw out any soap that might of been used. I see the logic but once again would like to see it used in the staff rooms.
Either of these items could be thrown in to a collective pit; along with half containers of bath salts, partly used containers of shampoos, conditioners and body washes; for use by staff off site.
I'd love to use the leftover soaps to experiment with soap making; you grate it down, melt it with some water then cast it. Plain white soaps would allow for me to learn technique and mixing ratios, also in making hand and bath liquid soaps.
I know why they don't do this; but as a person trying to reduce the depth of the footprint she leaves on the planet any waste is a sore point.

The industry is water intensive; fortunately they grey water store the bathrooms and kitchens water for use on the vines and gardens. They also have large water tanks to catch what little rain there is for use in the pools and baths at the health spa side of things.

There is never enough linen; ever; in aged care or hospitality.

Though tired and sore, I am happier than I have been in ages which is a bonus. I am also starting to feel healthier which is a bonus.

No comments: