Phases Of The Moon and Phases Of Fertility

CURRENT MOON

Saturday, November 11, 2006

6 Films I Love And A Quote Or 2 From Each

Rugrats In Paris: the scene at the start where Chuckie watches all the other babies dancing with their mummies makes me cry. I just want to adopt Chuckie and look after him so he has a mummy at this point. By the time the end reaches I'm crying because he gets one. The Boi knows this is my "excuse to blub" movie. (Yes, I know it's a kids animation. Yes, I know admitting to this probably wins me Nerdette of the year.)

Chuckie Finster: Over my dad's potty!


Breakfast At Tiffany's: *sigh* George Peppard looking yummy, Audrey at her most gorgeous, heart warming story, what's not to love.


Holly Golightly: He's all right! Aren't you, cat? Poor cat! Poor slob! Poor slob without a name! The way I see it I haven't got the right to give him one. We don't belong to each other. We just took up one day by the river. I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together. I'm not sure where that is but I know what it is like. It's like Tiffany's.
Paul Varjak: Tiffany's? You mean the jewelry store.
Holly Golightly: That's right. I'm just CRAZY about Tiffany's!

Holly Golightly: I'm like cat here, a no-name slob. We belong to nobody, and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other.


Practical Magic: I love chic flicks. This has to be my all time can watch on repeat and not get bored by it chick flick; close ties are Sweet Home Alabama and Just Like Heaven.

Sally Owens: All I want is a normal life.
Aunt Frances Owens: My darling girl, when are you going to understand that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!


Pretty In Pink: Two words; John. Hughes. I'm a child of the 1980's so a list of films has to have at least one John Hughes in it. I know Breakfast Club is the better crafted story; I know St Elmo's Fire has the better plot line (and isn't a Hughes). Pretty In Pink has James Spader at his worst, Jon Cryer as Duckie, and Harry Dean Stanton. Case rests.

Duckie: You know what an older women does for me?
Iona: Changes your diapers?
Duckie: Touché.


Dogma: Kevin Smith. I love his humour, direction, writing, philosophy, cute little tushy and irreverence. In this he peaked. (Fuck, Underline stuck on, sorry.)

Nun: You don't believe in God because of Alice in Wonderland?
Loki: No, "Through the Looking Glass". That poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter" that's an indictment of organized religion. The walrus, with his girth and his good nature, he obviously represents either Buddha, or... or with his tusk, the Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. That takes care of your Eastern religions. Now the carpenter, which is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was raised a carpenter's son, he represents the Western religions. Now in the poem, what do they do... what do they do? They... They dupe all these oysters into following them and then proceed to shuck and devour the helpless creatures en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensure the destruction of one's inner-being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions... by inhibiting our decisions, out of... out of fear of some... some intangible parent figure who... who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says... and says, "Do it - Do it and I'll fuckin' spank you. "


Metropolis: This was the irst silent film I ever saw and began a love affair I still have with the films of the 1920's. It also has a philosophy and beauty to it that haunts. My bias and pretension is to say no better science fiction film has ever been made; but that is a massive call and a can of worms I'm only willing to buy shares in not open.

I also love any Lon Chaney Snr films and the German films like Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari. Films like The Cat and The Canary and Freaks still manage to scare me. I have as many of them as I can find on DVD. I'd dearly love A Trip To The Moon and other early shorts but do not know where to find them.

Maria: There can be no understanding between the hand and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator.

I'll leave the last word to my favourite critics.

No comments: